Tuesday, August 14, 2007

oscar blues

Hello my dear friends,I miss you all, think of you often and send oodles of love your way!Summer here in Israel has been hot, sticky, and full of humid wet air. Our towels don't really dry in the bathroom. I imagine it is hard after you taking your 4Th shower of the day. Sometimes I even get up in the middle of the night for a little rinse. I hope that we are over the heat hump. Today we spent at the beach surfing and boogie boarding. Yep, good life. Summer has been wonderfully uneventful, no war and loads of ice cream. We did have to stay away from the beach for the month of July because it is month of invasion of the burning stinging jellyfish.Our last few days have been incredibly fun and adventure full. We hiked through a canyon, down a river and waterfalls, jumped off a 25 foot cliff into a deep pool and went repelling off a 45 foot cliff. That was really exciting! I now realize how addicting the adrenaline rush can be. Then yesterday to top it off I finally tried indoor rock climbing. It rocks! Josh and Zach love it, too. We had to schlep 40 min in the car to get there but was great. Go figure. We leave Rock climbing capital of the world, never tried it in Boulder but get into it here. It is really funny. The guys who run the rock gym look at us like we are crazy. Well, we know that already. What is new? I am now keeping an eye out for the next adrenaline opportunity. Any recommendations?So, summer for Josh and the title of this letter, 'Oscar Blues'. My dear dear Josh. He came to us late spring announcing and requesting that he wanted to go to sleep away camp. Why we wondered? He had never slept away more than 2 consecutive nights but this is supposed to be for 3 weeks! Despite several attempts to get it clear from Josh that this is what he wants. He goes off to camp. He 'really wanted to'. Okay, day one passed. No word. I am thinking whoa, maybe this is gonna really happen. Day two, no word. Day three.... a phone call from Josh: 'Yep, it is great, yep friends, the whole schpiel'. I share with Zach that Josh is really doing all right at camp. He responds: "Well, Josh called me yesterday saying he hated it and wanted to come home but was afraid to tell us cause we would get mad". Next day...camp director calls: Problems galore, ya know the drill, swearing, fighting, and of course the wonderful..'we have to make a contract'. OK, he stays two more days and then drama time. He is sick, has to go to the emergency room, can't stop throwing up. The camp tried to start an IV (without notifying us, of course) to no avail. OK, comes home for 5 days. Goes back and finishes it off with a final rating of 5/10. But here is the kicker. He is so pleased and truly joyous because the last night of camp was Oscar night. Josh won an Oscar. He was so proud of it. I am thinking: 'what type of Oscar could he have won?' Lo and behold he won an Oscar for being the 'SICKEST KID'. Oh my god, I am thinking and laughing. He gets mad at me for laughing and stomps off to his bedroom. So, just in case you all thought that things might be different. Ya know. New country and all. Well, not a chance. Josh is josh.Zach broke up with girlfriend though we still hang out with her parents.... We love to discuss Kabala with them. They are big learners and fans of the ancient texts.Our bigger summer deal was that we re-buried my father's remains in the mount of Olives in Jerusalem. We brought him from LA and did the ceremony 1 month ago. Tomorrow is the unveiling. It was very heavy and intense. I am pleased that he is in his right resting place but I am ready to move on.One a more bizarre note: We had lunch over at the Christian German's Mennonite like- Amish people's house. That too was quite a cultural experience. These German Christians call themselves Zionist Christians. I would call it more like a cult but they were so excited to have us over. Boy, their house was immaculate.My practice is growing slowly but surely. G-d has gifted me graciously with a few 'miraculous' healings so the word is slowly getting out. The rest is the mundane...'do your exercises and you will feel better'. I don't like to brag but this was funny, at least to me. I really credit the creator because this one event was so totally not my doing but his/her alone. A gentlemen came in with pain that had been plaguing him for 6 months, could barely walk, etc. I thought to myself 'geez this guy has like some mega big problems, dude'. So, I threw some spit on my hands and did a little rub a dub dub. He called 5 days later emoting that after he left he did not feel the pain again. I have been working with him now for 5 weeks and still no return. Believe me, I take no credit on this deal. So, those of you who are not believers....please send an explanation. Oh, maybe it is the holy land thing. I forget where I am!We have a new dog, Dude. Kids named him. He is a rescue dog from the streets. Weird looking. Middle eastern mix. I would have preferred the golden retriever deal but not happening. He is 8 months old. He has some strange characteristics which are totally like the dogs around here. He chases cars. Can't control it. Also, is aggressive with any dog on the road. Come on, Dude! Be cool.So we are here. Memories of Boulder life are getting more and more faint. Although most people say that where we live now, Zichron Yaakov, is like a bubble. That is what was always said about Boulder. Still get frustrated easily over bureaucratic things. Like I went to get a passport (hint hint) and was number 200, They were on number 110. Ugh. I am sure those things happen in the states but thank god I did not have to do much bureaucratic stuff there.We are looking forward to school starting hopefully without a strike to delay things. School is to start in September for two weeks, then a four week break for the Jewish high holidays. The way things worked for the last three months in spring was that there was a big strike so the kids had no tests, no grades and no final report card. It was lovely. See how relaxed I am getting?Sometimes pangs of fear and uncertainty bolt in. I can't do this. I am not supposed to be here. Sometimes I feel like life is so temporary I am not sure I am supposed to be anywhere specifically. We dream about new adventures. I make things much more complicated than they need to be. That's me. You all know that.Miss you all lots. Have a lemon drip martini at the "Kitchen" for me. Also a Rio Marg would be good. Thanks for spending these few minutes with me.Blessings and hugs,Adele

No comments: